10 Delicious Ways To Add Olive Oil To Your Diet
This post is borrowed from www.nextflight2spain.com from author Molly McCarthy.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is rich in healthy monounsaturated fats, contains large amounts of antioxidants, has strong anti-inflammatory properties, and prevents stroke and heart disease.
- Use fresh, good-quality EVOO as a finishing oil to enhance the flavor of roasted vegetables, seafood, salads, artisanal bread, and more.
- Use it on toast instead of butter. Try Spain's most popular tapa: Pan con Tomate.
- Use it in cakes and cookies instead of vegetable oil or butter (Use 3 tablespoons of EVOO for every 1/4 cup of melted butter).
- Use it in salads instead of mayonnaise.
- Use it for sautéing vegetables and meat instead of vegetable oil — the Spanish Picual variety of olive oil stands up well to heat.
- Use it for frying eggs instead of butter.
- Swirl it into soups for extra flavor.
- Mix it into homemade dips, like hummus.
- Use it as a dipping oil for warm, crusty bread — add dried Italian herbs and chili flakes for more flavor.
- Mix it into grain-based side dishes, like quinoa or farro.
Bonus: Slow cook peppers and tomatoes as the base for piperade (Basque) or shakshuka (Greek).